11/24/08

Kind of wallpaperish...

I just know that when Matthieu sees this dress, he will say it looks like a wallpaper... And then diplomacy will win once again and he will add that we just have different taste...
I even had some fun imagining that conversation.
I know the print is a bit weird, but I somehow love it. The navy and red combination is great and the graphic flowers are nicely abstract. The fabric is a blend - 32% silk and 68% cotton. Very soft and it has a bit of a silk sheen.
The same pattern as the psycho wave blouse, just lengthen it a bit.
I did better work on the collar this time (I cut it after I've sewn the bodice. As most of the time expected with me I had to lengthen the collar pieces, since the neckline has gotten longer...).



I used flat felled seams again, topstitching with a red thread.



I can only recommend this pattern - it is easy and quick. I made the dress in like 3 days/3 hours sessions. It is still comfortable and not too tight, but in the same time give the impression of a well fitted garment.


The next photo is funny - I stand so stiff with an empty stance and the dress has a slight retro feel, the result being a bit messy Stepford wife...







I have a new strategy. When I am watching a movie I just use the time to trace and cut out patterns. Then I store them for better times...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your strategy! I'm horrible- I never trace patterns. I really should start doing that. While I'm watching TV with the hubby I'm usually cutting out fabric or hand-sewing (or knitting). My coffee table is almost big enough for cutting most things.

i like your blog- you are very talented :) can't wait to see more from you!

-erdronen (from Burdastyle)

Anonymous said...

Did he see it? Did he say it?

It really does look a bit - not really wallpaperish, actually, it reminds me more of posters.

ceregana said...

Hm, I haven't talked with him about it, so I cannot say what he will say.
But the print is really a matter of taste.
For my part I love it and it feels indeed a bit weird to wear it. It is just so much of it...

Anonymous said...

I think I sort of like the print on itself, but I totally couldn't wear it...

ceregana said...

Oh I can understand that absolutely. I am chuckling the whole time when I wear it and people are kind of surprised by it. So it is fun...

Anonymous said...

You are the right colour type for it; I'm not. I would be overshadowed by the print. Which is not what we want when making clothes for ourselves, right? ;-)

Unknown said...

All I kind say about your clothes is "Wow!" Your designs are beautiful and I love the fabrics you used, they are retro and classy at the same time. Love your blog!

Miss Sewing said...

Hi,
The dress is great, I love it. 3 days and 3 hours? Faster impossible.
Congratulations!!!
Ana

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

i think it's FAB. it's not wallpapery at all, it's mod!

and i may be way behind the times here-- but i love your new blog header:)

Anonymous said...

That coat is really cute!!! I love big graphic prints.

Colette said...

No way is this like wallpaper!It looks very retro indeed and you can pull anything off!

Merry Christmas Geri.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Geri .- happy Christmas to you and yours and my best wishes for the new year.

Hugs, Paco

Anonymous said...

I love your creations, the vintage look, the color, everything. I'm crazy about the early 70's fashion and your blog is a plesaure to read, I will come back often!