7/31/08

A second in a row

I want to embrace the world...




Not really, it is more showing the dress without additional wrinkles... Are you finding the 1 difference between the two photographs, because my question is regarding exactly that!

I found the burda pattern, I used for the silk tunic too, still easy and nice. But I felt I didn't made quite the best out of it. So yesterday I bought 1,50 meters silverisch denim looking linen/ cotton blend for 3 eu! And around 00:30 I started cutting the pieces... The trickiest part is the curved seam at the front so I started with that and till 01:45 am I had the front piece done and the back with the invisible zipper too... I did much better job this time. I am not really afraid of invisible zippers anymore. Tschaka!!!



The only change done is taking a lot in in the waist area, I didn't really liked the silhouette otherwise.
Today I spent another one and a half hour doing the facings and the sleeves. Still left - the pockets and the hem burden (off course...). And hand stitching the inside facing.

The Questions: Two of them. At what height do you think I should leave the box pleat in the front - should I leave it as in the original open (second image) or close it a bit lower (first image)?
Second question is about the length - this or shorter?

14 comments:

Dalila said...

Nice fabric! I like the shiny look.
I like the one on the right better. I think the pleat looks good coming off of the curve. You could shorten it but I think that it also looks fine at the current length.
Nice work!

Anonymous said...

I think I like the pleating on the right better... And if you're anything like me, just barely above the knee is the optimal hem length! You were soooo lucky to find that fabric, yum.

loopylulu said...

Hm, I like the pleating on the left. I think it's more flattering to your figure. Dress looks comfy anyway you work it though.

Adriana B. said...

I like the one where the pleat starts higher. As far as length - just above the knee.
BTW, which pattern are you using?

Anonymous said...

I like the higher, more open pleat. And just above the knee is a no-fail hem length. Looks great!

Christina said...

Interesting idea! I think they both look fine, but I prefer the look on the right.

Ditto what everyone else says - hem right at or above the knee.

meg said...

I vote for the one on the right!

Mon Café Couture said...

I perefer the one with the pleat closed rather than open, and shorter than the original. Nice fabric, looks more like the original Burda dress. Good job with the invisible zipper. I did not put one because of the fabric.

Vicki said...

I like the pleat open - but final decision might depend on what it looks side on! I like the length you have. And very nice zip!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Vicki - side views might help to decide!

rosanne said...

From the front, the open pleat looks better IMO. Also, the hem on this kind of skirt will look great either just above or at mid-knee. Either way, it's a really cute dress on! I love your fabric choice :)

Anonymous said...

great job! I like the original opening and a little shorter! love the fabric.

Kelly said...

i like the pleat open (pic on the right) i would go a bit shorter, 1-2 inches above your knee. great job love the fabric choice! -kb

Colette said...

Hi Geri,

I too prefer the look on the right and the length as is ( or there abouts 0 if you shorten it too much I think it will stick out more. The fabric and colour are stunning.

Some funky shoes will finish off the look perfectly.

Colette