10/13/08

A Fabric Post...

A fabric post is always related to a perpetual popping of new projects in my head. And here and there is a moment of not knowing what to do with a fabric...
I am constantly wanting to make new things and mostly it is just not realistic in our 24 hours 7 days pro week world.
I was on a two weeks work related (a lot of work...) stay in Kassel. Believe it or not this small town has one of the coolest fabric stores around as I've mentioned before - Alfatex. They even had some Burda Magazine garments on display there for a few days, so I was able to look at how they are sewn up. Nice.
It was good I was too busy to go there more than twice in the time... But I still managed to spent money I didn't want to spent on some fabrics as a well-behaved addict.

First my main addiction - silk!
A snakes print Crepe de Chine - for a blouse I have exactly pictured in my mind.



Weird thing is I am not that wild about animal prints and in the same time I have a snake phobia. I don't really have a thing against snakes, I just tend to get panic attacks when I see them. Nothing to do about it - I always push myself into the terrarium in the zoo in a healing attempt, but haven't been successful yet...
So in a some unpredictable psychological twist I fell in love with this fabric and got almost obsessed with it...

A silver silk I grabbed in the last moment while paying for the fabric above...
I noticed afterwards that it has 7% elastan and stretches in one directions. That is just killing me - not because it is a bad thing. It just calls for a tight pattern. But tight and shiny...
I am envisioning a loose shirt and I have a bad feeling the whole time not being up to its elastic potential...


A orange dotted Crepe de Chine silk I got for no money of ebay. I am going to use it for the Tessuti awards challenge so I am not going to tell you what it will be in its next reincarnation.



I actually wanted to buy some plaid and then again plaid, but was left with money for only one... It is a shirt tunic waiting to happen.



Another silver thing. Not sure I like the metallic stuff at all. It was kind as spontaneous getting this as the silver silk... It is a cotton silver jeans fabric. Will be making jeans out of it...


I am in need of comfy pants and this fabric was really cheap on sale - it is a cotton with 10% elastan - very stretchy and very thick, with a soft inside. It may be a bit stiff to sew but I will make some jeans out of it again. Love the colour - a cold greyish blue.



A cotton batist I got as a present for a friends birthday. It is more petrol.


Winter is coming, coat sewing too... My lovely wool plaid for a great winter coat - I have bought the fabric last year on ebay.



I almost finish the idea of the coat and should be starting on the pattern soon. I am planning it as a really slow pace project doing every step really carefully.

1 comment:

Mon Café Couture said...

Geri- is it so pleasant to buy new fabric and have new sewing plans. I wish you a lot of time to make the projects rtue.