3/30/08

Leg of a Mutton Dress Start

Since I got frustrated with my silk issues (thanks all for the tips!) I wasn't sewing for more then a week. This weekend I thought I can take on my instant-gratification-easy-quick project. It is not finished yet.
So first the infos:
pattern: drafted after this how to. Thanks JJ!
time to draft the pattern: I think like 40 min - that is even a bit overdone.
cutting the pieces: like 20 min.
time to sew the pieces together: overall like 2 hours - I did it like three 30 min sessions.
cost: 2 euro for the knit on ebay. Thread I already had - the colour is almost the same as the ballerina dress. I love this colour. I have some boning which I will be maybe putting in - like 1.20 euro. I will use it according to this article to prevent the dress from riding up.

The cut pieces:



The dress so far - no hems and no boning.




The big question. I am not sure about the neckline. It feels to me that it is maybe to much to have a high neckline on a long dress with extra long sleeves. So square or high neckline?



11 comments:

Christina said...

Good idea, I think you should open the neckline a little bit...

LauraLo said...

Square neckline! The dress looks great already. The colour is beautiful too.

Colette said...

I say square! I agree that the dress is fantastic but the neckline is too high.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Uhmm. Geri, I differ from most, I like the neckline closed, it is more dramatic and much better for his personality. Greetings and a big hug for you. Paco

Anonymous said...

ooh I love that you turned this into a dress! Can I be awkward and suggest a floppier cowl neckline? I think it's a bit too "modest" with a high neck, but I'm not quite sure a square neck suits it, either, though.... hrm.

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

one more for the squarish side... especially the way you've pulled the bottom edges of the square further out than at the neckline. i like the way it contrasts with the softer, fuller shoulders. i can't believe you're adding boning! i would run for the hills.

Mon Café Couture said...

Hello there, I just found your blog and I recognized pictures from burdastyle! what a surprise! I love making dresses like you and work on one right now. Your blue model inspires me quite a lot. I'll maybe try the same in black. Lucia

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Geri .- Good evening. I left on my blog an award for you. I hope we will accept with pleasure. Thanks, and see you soon greetings. Paco

Mynrose said...

square neckline! definitely. it looks great.

Anonymous said...

I like the square neckline :) Looks better, I think!

Lydia (Polychromatin from Burdastyle ;))

Jen Dockter said...

I agree with Paco that the high neckline is much more dramatic. However, I would hem the skirt up to just-at-knee length as that looks like it would be most flattering for legs. Great work!