3/8/08

Dot Com

I didn't had the possibility to print my 80s dress pattern, so I started something else in the mean time to keep me busy. I decided to make a shirt dress. I will be keeping track on the progress, which will be a bit slow, cause I don't have a lot of time for sewing right now.
The fabric is a fine cotton with a great sheen to it. It was on sale for 3.90 eu and I got 1.50 m of it. I got some black thread and I used scraps for the interfacing.
Total Cost:
6.95
Again click on the images to enlarge them.



I used the same pattern as for my blouse, since it is already altered to fit me. But I cut it out again in order to position the pieces better on the fabric. And it is also nice to have this pattern separately - I can imagine to use it again and again. I drew a new collar too, but you will see it in the process.
The seam allowance is included in the pattern but I still cut it out larger, cause I wanted to finish it using french seams.
The cut pieces and the original pattern compared to the new one:



First step is preparing the pieces. In this case it means pressing and interfacing. I added middle weight fusible interfacing onto the collar stand pieces. Than I ironed a lightweight interfacing on the front placket and under collar pieces. I pressed all the pieces in the right form. This takes some time but spare a lot of nerves afterwards and it is easier to get the details neat:



So I started sewing by attaching the front placket to the middle front piece. First I pressed it the right way. The unpressed side is being attached to the front piece, stitched together and than pressed inwards into the placket. Then I ironed the placket into its final position - the fold of the placket is done in a way that the back part is a bit wider then the front. That is important for the fixture.




To fix it I am making a stitch on the right side of the garment just between the placket and the front piece.



Here is an image of the french seams finishing.




A good tutorial how to do it you can get here. The next step will be to sew the bodice together.

2 comments:

paco peralta said...

Geri, precious fabric of polka dot, very Spanish. It is very nice the idea of dress-shirt and very fashionable. I am impatient to see your results. A big hug, Paco

Geri said...

Thank you so much Paco. Yes when you say it I think it looks indeed Spanish. I had a small problem with the French seams - it is somehow gathering there and making folds... I saw other technique on your website. I will try it too.