9/10/08

Another finished project YEAH!

Yet another finished project and I actually quite like it. I know I was talking about making some dresses, but I am in a need of blouses right now, so I will do a few, before I start on the dresses...
My plaid bow blouse is done and I really love the colours on the plaid, although I normally dislike brown...





On the matching of the plaid my strategy was the following:

1. Cut one piece out and lay it on the plaid so you can match the next piece on it.
2. Stitch the pieces together by hand, matching carefully the plaid.
3.
Machine stitch them...


Not difficult at all but somewhat time consuming.
For the pattern I used the JJ as mentioned in the previous post. The bow is just a rectangular piece sewed on.



The sleeves are made of the rest lenght I cut off...
I made the end seam and then pleated them and topstitched the pleats. The next step was to just lay them on the blouse and fit them to the arm cycle. Then I cut the leftover fabric. Surprisingly this strategy worked out...



A good thing about plaid is, that is really easy to measure it visually - you easily cut out straight stripes and notice asymetry.
The front placket is a separate piece, I liked the idea of a small disruption in the plaid pattern. It is stitched face to face to the front piece, turned out and then flattened in order to get topstitched in place using "stich in the ditch" technique. When one takes time to iron it carefully in place it gets a lot easier afterward...


4 comments:

Colette said...

Geri, this is a very cool plaid blouse.

Very rock chic actually...well done. You are amazing the way you just churn things out!

Colette

Cafe Couture said...

Geri, there's a diamond for you on my blog. Come and see if you wish :)

oonaballoona said...

oh my god geri, i would have gone blind. really. this is so funky (if i may repeat myself). now you must wear it with something yellow!!!

Tany said...

I love it! What a beautiful & stylish top!