11/19/08

Zig Zag Plaid

I bought this plaid last time in Kassel. It is not my favourite colours, but it is growing on me more and more...
I had 2 meters of fabric and I wanted to make a shirt dress. Having more then enough fabric I thought I should play more with the plaid than I usually do. So I decided to fit the pattern diagonally.
Emamanuance asked me how I fit the plaid pattern - I will make a small tutorial on my way doing it. Patience is significant part of it...
It will probably take some time, since I should find some fabric to do that.

The small pleats at the neckline are fabric tubes that are pleated, ironed flat and fixed with one stitch each, which hidden underneath the next pleat. The neckline itself is being faced and interfaced...



I used the JJ shirt pattern of burdastyle as a starting block for the bodice and took the original sleeves. To lengthen them I cut a rectangular fabric piece and made a tube. The end of the tube is finished with elastic. The upper end is cut a bit curved - since the original JJ sleeve is curved too. That was it.



The skirt I just drafted in a very easy manner using my measurments...



I finished the hem using a self fabric bias tape. I hate curved hems - mostly I am messing them up, so I took a different direction this time.








Answer update: Hey Melissa, yeah the sleeves are nice but beware how much you take in at the side pleat... I make them a bit to narrow there and when I lift my hands too much the seam is cutting in my arm... I think maybe putting an elastic there will be more suitable.

8 comments:

Christina said...

You are the plaid queen. This dress is awesome!

Karencilla said...

I agree with Christina! its GORGEOUS!

Anna said...

I love the way this dress looks from behind! The fit is amazing and the zig zag makes it really interesting!

Anonymous said...

oooh I LOVE what you've done with the sleeves, that's such a good idea! And I must remember to keep bias binding in my mind as a hem option - I hate hand sewing and I always feel like the only other option is a visible stitched seam...

Vicki said...

What a cute dress. You have done some fun things with the plaid! I really like the bodice back.

Emmanuance said...

oh-my-god!!!!!it's simply divine! Well done, Geri.

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

another sculpture. AWESOME.

Berry said...

I discovered your blog recently through burdastyle and I'm a growing fan. I just love the way you fitted the lines of this plaid fabric, love it !